Finding mold in your home is not something that any homeowner wants to deal with. Sometimes it can seem like a major problem, and one that must be taken care of immediately. Mold is not something that should be taken lightly. If you are not familiar with how to deal with mold problems, calling in a professional for mold remediation assistance is the next step.
Be Ready to Handle Mold if it Appears
While mold is not something that the average homeowner should handle on their own, it is in your best interest to be prepared if mold does make an appearance. If you find mold in your home, leave it alone. Disturbing mold spores can send them through the air and through the rest of your home, leading to potential health issues for anyone in the house.
Attempting to clean the mold yourself can also lead to incomplete removal of the problem. According to experts, when mold is found, there’s often times five to ten more mold behind the wall.
What to Expect During the Mold Remediation Process
When you call in a remediation expert like the team at A&J Property Restoration DKI, how do you know what the process is and how long it will take? Most people just want their home back to normal, but understanding what happens to remove the mold is important.
Here is a typical step by step guide to a professional mold remediation process.
- Inspection of the mold damage. During this step, the team will inspect the affected area, but also search for the root cause of the mold. Is it a leaky pipe? Too much humidity in your home? We will find the reason and help you fix the cause to keep the mold away for good.
- Mold containment. Once we know where the mold is and what is causing the issue, we will use different containment processes to prevent the mold from spreading any further. Different methods of containment include negative air chambers that keep the area isolated.
- Air filtration. Using air scrubbers and HEPA filters, the team will remove the mold spores and help prevent the spread of spores.
- Remove mold and infested materials. While the overall process of mold remediation depends on the size of the mold problem, the restoration team will remove any materials like carpeting, drywall, or other household items that are contaminated by mold.
- Clean the contents and belongings. It is now time to clean the furniture, curtains, and any other items affected by the mold problem. Using different equipment and chemicals the items are sanitized and returned to the home.
- Restoration is the final step in the remediation process. Depending on the level of damage, restoration could involve minor repairs all the way to major reconstruction of entire rooms.
At A&J Property Restoration DKI, we are certified in mold remediation with over 30 years of experience. If you suspect your home may suffer from a mold infestation, call us for a free consultation.