Bathroom Mold – Causes and Prevention Tips
The truth is most homes have mold. It has nothing to do with the cleanliness of your home, but more about the environmental factors within. Have you started to notice black spots on your walls? Yellow or gray spots on your ceiling? This is a sure sign of bathroom mold.
What Causes Mold
Mold needs specific conditions for optimal growth. It thrives in damp places with high humidity which means a bathroom is the perfect breeding ground for all types of mold growth.
Improper ventilation is one of the top reasons for bathroom mold growth.
- Typically, when we use the shower or the bath, we tend to close the doors. This traps in moisture and humidity which clings to walls and floors. Over time, the water starts to produce mold and mildew.
- The best solution for this issue is an exhaust plan that will remove the excess moisture from the air and vent outside. If your bathroom does not have an exhaust fan, keeping a window open during your shower is another way to force the steam outside.
Deteriorating grout is the perfect place for water to become trapped, and therefore, mold to start growing.
- If you notice that the grout around your bathtub, sink, or toilet is peeling away it’s time to call in a professional. We don’t recommend repairing the issue without the first consulting a mold remediation service like A&J Property Restoration. Without catching the failing grout at the beginning of the problem, there is no guarantee that mold has not already formed under the tile.
- A professional service will inspect the area and determine if there is mold growth.
Ongoing damp conditions play a large part in bathroom mold growth.
- A bathroom is the wettest room in the house. Even with proper ventilation there is always the chance of excess water due to all the plumbing fixtures. If not kept properly dry, the pipes around sinks and toilets become a breeding ground for mold.
Why Call A&J Property Restoration
Here in Milwaukee and Madison A&J Property Restoration is the number one mold remediation service.
Mold and mildew can cause health problems if left untreated. If there are household members that suffer from allergies or respiratory problems, mold can make these much worse. Even healthy members of the home can experience adverse side effects due to mold and mold growth.
Our team at A&J Property Restoration is trained at identifying the cause of the mold problem, as well as how to remove the mold completely from your home. We utilize HEPA technology and will also provide full restoration services if your mold problem is more significant than initially thought.
Call us today to schedule an inspection to determine if mold growth has begun in your home.