Mold and mildew are easily confused, especially if you don’t work in an industry that requires you to know the difference. While there are some similarities between the two, overall, mold and mildew are two different problems that should be treated differently.
Mold vs. Mildew – Similarities
- Mold and mildew are both members of the fungi family and are known for thriving in areas that are warm and wet.
- Both mold and mildew can grow inside or outside a residence.
- They both spread quite easily and can get out of hand quickly if not treated right away.
- Both require an organic source for growth. This includes drywall, wood, or plants.
Mold vs. Mildew – What do They Look Like?
- Mold presents itself as slimy or fuzzy. It will appear in patches and can be different colors!
- Mildew is typically powdery and grows in a flat pattern. It is also known for changing colors. If you’re dealing with powdery mildew, you’ll notice it begins white, then will turn yellow, and eventually black. Downy mildew will begin yellow in color and turn brown.
Mildew – Better than Mold
While mildew and mold both have similarities in growth conditions (air, water, food, and correct temperature), mildew is by far the lesser of two evils. Mildew is not as dangerous to your health as mold and tends to not be as invasive.
It is found in wet areas around your home – think bathroom ceilings, crawl spaces with leaky pipes, areas with a water spout, etc. Mildew is easier to clean than mold because it only lives on the surface of the material.
You can typically clean away mildew by using a mixture of bleach and water (typically 1 cup of bleach per 1 gallon of water) and eliminate the issue yourself. Mildew is an eyesore, but does not pose the bigger health threats that mold can bring into your home.
Mold – Time for a Professional
It seems silly to wish for mildew, but between the two – mildew is better than mold. Mold is evasive and can be hard to find. It likes dark places that are damp and tends to sneak up and spread quickly on homeowners.
The first indication of a mold problem is the smell. You will notice a specific area carries a musty smell, which is indicative to mold. If you notice this around your home, start looking for a fuzzy patch of mold – and be warned – it can grow in a variety of colors.
Don’t just look for black mold. Mold is common in red, green, black, white, and everything in between. We tend to focus only on the black mold and overlook other types – but mold is bad for you in any color!
Once you have identified the mold problem, it’s time to call in the professionals.
Unlike mildew, mold is not easily removed from your home. Not only does it require a deeper clean and specific tools and supplies, but mold is tricky, and likes to spread to all areas of a home.
The professional mold remediation team at A&J Property Restoration is always ready to jump in and help with your mold problem – and will not only remove the mold but find the cause of the issue as well.
Mold can cause a plethora of health issues for your household like respiratory problems, allergies and much more. Call A&J Property Restoration DKI today to take care of your mold problem now.