The words “toxic” and “mold” are two of the scariest words that humans can hear in the same sentence. When we hear these words together, suddenly just breathing in the air where there might be mold growth becomes frightening.

The issue with this is that not all black mold is toxic. There are many misconceptions that cause us to react negatively when we see any trace of black mold in our home and panic when there is no need for any sort of reaction. 

Health Effects of Mold 

People tend to use “black mold” as an all encompassing phrase to identify any form of mold that is found in any area of the home. However, mold can be a variety of different colors. Mold grows where there is excess water and moisture and can begin forming within 24 hours of water damage.

There are over 100,000 types of mold, and while none are good for you or your family – very few are actually toxic!

Toxic black mold is a term that should not be thrown around as it typically is. Exposure to any type of black mold in large quantities can cause health issues. These can include breathing problems, sinus issues, allergies, and much more.

Each person can have different reactions to different mold species. According to expects, one out of every six people are allergic to mold in some capacity. This can vary in severity from person to person, and can include different types of issues.

  • Mold Sensitivity is when a person is simply sensitive to mold spores and may develop an increase in symptoms as exposure is prolonged. These symptoms include headaches, sore eyes, sore throat, coughing or wheezing, nasal congestion, and skin irritations.
  • Infections that are caused by mold are typically found in individuals with immune systems that are already compromised and find it difficult to fight infections on their own. With a sensitive immune system, individuals may experience deep infections that settle in their lungs, causing major respiratory problems.
  • Severe and Chronic issues are triggered by different types of mycotoxins, produced by mold spores. This is when the term “toxic mold” is accurate. These mycotoxins are absorbed through the skin, by breathing in through your airways, and in your intestinal linings. Long exposure to these toxins can lead to severe and in the worst cases, deadly conditions.

These health issues depend solely on the individual and the time they were exposed to the mold infested area.

Preventing Black Mold

Mold is identified by sight and smell. A musty odor, sometimes said to smell like rotting food, has been associated with mold. If you begin to notice a wet, musty odor in your home, it could mean a mold problem.

If you smell mold, but don’t notice any black spots around your home, it’s time to find the water source. Mold grows where there is water, and it likes dark, damp areas the most. Professional mold remediation specialists like those at A&J Property Restoration will gladly work to find the water problem and to locate any mold that has grown in your home.

Contact A&J today for water damage clean up emergencies and services by A&J Specialty Services Inc DKI of Madison, Sun Prairie, Milwaukee, WI Dells, Fort Atkinson, Watertown, and Waukesha, WisconsinWithout knowing the best ways to handle a mold infestation, it is important to enlist the help of a professional, allowing us to safely identify and remove all traces of the mold from your residence. Call us today to schedule your appointment, we proudly serve all residential and commercial properties in the Madison and Milwaukee areas, and are available for emergency appointments if the need arises.