Tips to Keep You, Your Guests, and Your Home Safe on July 4th
Whether you’re celebrating America’s Independence by celebrating with family and friends, grilling out, splashing in the pool or going to the beach, or getting out of town, making safety first priority is the best way to avoid accidents and losses from ruining your well-intentioned plans.
Don’t think safety is a necessity for this independence holiday? Consider a few statistics compiled by WalletHub and NFPA:
- 3 states ban all consumer fireworks (Delaware, Massachusetts, and New Jersey)
- 67% of all annual fireworks injuries take place within a month of July 4th
- On average, 800 people go to the emergency room with fireworks-related injuries
- 400 people are killed in Fourth of July car crashes each year
- In 2013, fireworks caused an estimated 15,600 reported fires in the U.S., over 1,400 of them were structure fires and 14,000 were outside and other fires
As you celebrate the Declaration of Independence, do so by keeping you, your guests, and your home protected with these Fourth of July safety tips:
Sparkler & Fireworks
- Always supervise young children and never allow them to handle lighters, matches, sparklers or fireworks.
- Do not point fireworks at yourself or others, especially while being lit.
- Never attempt to relight a “dud”.
- Keep a supply of water or a fire extinguisher nearby as a precaution.
- Never light fireworks near homes, garages, buildings, or structures that could catch fire.
- Leave an unsafe situation when you feel you or your family’s safety is in danger.
Grill Safety Tips
- Clean your grill before using, checking gas tank hose lines for leaks if grilling with propane.
- Always follow manufacturer recommendations for appropriate use of your grill.
- Keep your grill at least 10-feet away from structures and deck railings place it on stable ground.
- Never leave a lit grill unattended.
- Be prepared to extinguish grease fires using baking soda (not water!) or a fire extinguisher or bucket of sand for all other fires.
Pool Safety Tips
- Clean your pool and make sure chemicals are at proper levels, and circulation and filtration systems are in recommended working order.
- Designate a guest or family member to be on “lifeguard duty” whenever swimmers are in the pool. Never leave children unattended.
- Create and enforce pool rules with guests, such as no diving, no running, and no playing near drains.
- Become certified in CPR and first aid or update a certification you already have.
- Install a poolside phone or keep a fully charged cell phone near the pool with emergency numbers programmed.
Gathering Safety Tips
- Drink responsibly, and never drink and drive. If you know you’ll be drinking away from home, make plans for rides to and from the gathering before alcohol impairs good judgement.
- Watch out for the safety of other guests. Catching up with others, playing yard games, or helping out the host can make it easy for people to become distracted. If you see a potential hazard to a person or structure, act quickly or speak up.
- Beware of hidden insects. With open beverages and new bugs out for the season, it’s easy to take a sip and accidentally get stung. Always check cans and cups before drinking, or better yet, keep your drinks covered for added safety.
- If fireworks are in the works, be sure to follow local laws before lighting anything off. Fireworks should only be used by sober adults outside and should be kept clear of trees, structures, and other flammable factors. Keep buckets of water or a hose handy to extinguish fireworks as needed.
Everyone here at A&J Property Restoration would like to wish you and your family a safe and fun 4th of July!
Who can I call for fire and smoke damage restoration services in my area?
Fire and Smoke Damage Cleanup Services from A&J Property Restoration
At A&J Property Restoration, our staff is fully trained in emergency fire and water damage restoration services for your home, business, and structures. Fire and smoke damage can be extremely messy. Cleaning the fire damage or smoke damage, removing odors, and cleaning your personal belongings or contents is what we specialize in. Let us help you get back on your feet as quickly as possible and return your home or business to its pre-loss condition – with our 24/7 emergency fire and water restoration.
A&J Property Restoration is a full-service emergency and non-emergency damage restoration company serving all of south-central Wisconsin, Madison, Milwaukee, Waukesha, Wisconsin Dells, Sun Prairie, Columbus, Waunakee, Fort Atkinson, Watertown, Janesville, and WI surrounding areas.