As soon as mold is spotted in your home, it is important to take appropriate steps to remove the problem as quickly and safely as possible. Black mold can cause major health problems and structural damage. Learn how to get rid of black mold in the bathroom and when to call in the help of a professional mold mitigation company.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold is just that – mold that takes on a black or greenish color that will quickly spread spores when disturbed. The mold is not toxic in itself, but mycotoxins produced by the mold are poisonous and these mycotoxins attach to the mold spores where they can be easily inhaled by household inhabitants.
These spores can lead to health issues like coughing fits, allergy like symptoms, trouble breathing, and more. If you notice these symptoms in yourself or any other household members, seek medical attention immediately.
What Causes Black Mold?
Black mold, like all mold types, require moisture and organic material in order to thrive and grow. The bathroom of a home is the perfect place for mold to form. With high humidity levels, warm temperatures, and condensation from baths and showers – mold is common in most home bathrooms!
It is simply important to ensure the mold remains at safe levels.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold
Once you determine that your bathroom is suffering from black mold, it’s time to work on removing the problem. Follow these steps:
- Suit up! Wear protective gear from head to toe. This includes a face mask or respirator, long shirt, pants, and rubber gloves. Mold spores can cause allergic reactions, so cover up as much as possible.
- Block off the area. Treating mold in the bathroom makes it easy to block off the area. Close the door and do not allow any other members of the household to enter the room. This will also keep mold spores from spreading through the rest of the house as well.
- Get rid of the moisture. In a bathroom, lots of things can collect moisture. Towels, rugs, clothing, or anything that can hold moisture needs to be removed from the room as it can be affected by mold. At this time, you should also check faucets and toilets for any leaks or condensation. If you find any leaks or cracks, repair these issues or prepare to call in a professional plumber to fix the problem.
- Begin to wash away the mold. Using a sponge and soapy water, remove the mold that you can see.
- Take a disinfectant to the area. Once the mold is removed, begin disinfecting the area to kill any remaining mold spores. There are many chemical solutions on the market today that can assist with the removal of spores. Once you use these solutions, remember to keep children and pets away for the time recommended on the packaging.
Bring in a Professional Mold Remediation Team
At A&J Property Restoration DKI, we offer professional mold remediation services to assist with jobs of mold removal that are too big for homeowners to handle themselves. We will locate the cause of the mold and work to fix that issue to keep the mold from returning.
From there, we clean your home of mold and make sure that the air quality is up to proper standards. Call us today for more information about our mold remediation team, and how we can help with the mold removal.