As snow and ice give way to flower buds, grass sprouts, and sunshine, it’s time to take a fresh look at the shape of your home. Winter, with its cold temperatures, icicles, and harsh winds may have done a number to your exterior. Hefty damage might be easy to spot but don’t overlook the little problems that could cost you big time later.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, winter storms can cause expensive damage, with an estimated $1 billion in insured losses reported in 2016. While only a small percentage of those losses are caused by winter storms and other types of damaging wind, hail, and flooding, they can still come with a large price tag. And if the damage goes untended to, the amount needed to restore your home could increase the longer you wait.
Spring Exterior Inspections
Once warm weather welcomes you back outdoors for springtime chores, take a look at these specific areas of your home’s exterior. If damage or increased wear has occurred, move them to the the top of your home maintenance to-do list.
What’s overhead can provide quite a lot of protection and comfort to your home. But if there are impairments to the shingles or structure, it could lead to a lot of problems, including letting in moisture or critters. Whether you climb up for an up-close look or use binoculars while standing on firm ground, here’s what to seek out:
- Missing or damaged shingles
- Shingles that are warped, blistering, or curling
- Cracks in caulk or the rubber boot around the vent pipe
- Chimney cap damage
- Roofing grit in your gutters or downspouts
The exterior of your home keeps the elements out, whether it’s constructed of wood, vinyl, stucco, or other material. Ignore what covers the outside of your home and you could take on a moisture problem that could lead to rot or structural damage. Avoid that by tending to:
- Gaps, cracks, and holes
- Wear in the way of warping or buckling
- Missing pieces of siding or trim
- Stains and discolorations
- Siding not secured properly to the home
Since spring is often a rainy season, you want to ensure water is moving as efficiently and effectively as possible away from your home. To help, respond to the following:
- Clogs created by leaves and other types of debris.
- Standing water or water that drains too slowly, which could be a sign of a blockage in the downspout
- Cracks, leaks, or missing sealant at the gutter seams
- Space between the roof line and gutter, or areas where gutters are not adequately secured
- Water pooling at the bottom of the downspout
If there are cracks or other forms of damage to your foundation, it could lead to indoor flooding. Avoid the wet mess by seeking out and fixing:
- Crumbling or chipped concrete
- Bulges, bowing, or deformities in the foundation walls
- Cracks or holes, either interior or exterior
- Interior moisture, be it weeping, dripping, or more
- Outdoor puddling near the base of the home
- Cracks in other areas of the home, including walls, doorways, windows, and where walls meet ceilings. Also look for doors that jam or are unable to latch.
The green areas around your home can go beyond simple aesthetics. If not properly maintained, they could even cause damage. Here are few areas that could be of concern:
- Trees and shrubs growing or hanging too close to your siding, roof, or foundation
- Landscaping sloping toward instead of away from your home
- Cracking or lifting of cement walkways
- Poor drainage
Water and Mold Cleanup Services
The cold and snow may be gone, but that doesn’t mean signs of winter aren’t still present. Inspect your property exterior thoroughly, or bring in the skilled professionals from A&J Property Restoration DKI to search for any areas in need of repair or replacement. Don’t overlook a minor problem now, or before you know it, you could have a major loss later.
A&J is a leader in the commercial and residential restoration industry, providing 24/7 emergency fire and water restoration, water damage clean up service and water damage restoration service, sewage clean up services and black mold removal service. We also specialize in tough cleaning projects and offer residential and commercial cleaning services.
We provide full-service emergency and non-emergency damage restoration services to all of south-central Wisconsin, Madison, Middleton, Sun Prairie, Waunakee, Portage, Milwaukee, Brookfield, WI Dells, Fort Atkinson, Watertown, Oconomowoc, Waukesha, West Allis, and surrounding Dane County Wisconsin areas.